Thursday, May 8, 2008

Yogi's Love


Jicama Slaw Sandwich, originally uploaded by mud pie gourmet.

HELLLLLLOOOO!! I am finally back. Our camera broke and the new one has arrived. I couldn't post recipes without pictures (this is why I love the Barefoot Contessa books--a picture for every recipe!).

With the fabulous weather we have been having here in the hometown we have been going on picnics. The kids get so excited when I tell them that is the plan and they immediately help me get things ready. What is it about picnics? Yogi loved them, and during college I went on 3 dates in one week where the guy took me on a picnic (seriously--did they think they were original?), and on the Bachelor they always have a date where they have a picnic. Basically, who doesn't like picnics?!

Here is a great sandwich for enjoying these Spring days. I used jicama slaw to give it a good crunch. It has a Mexican flair in celebration of Cinco de Mayo.

Garlic Chicken Sandwich with Jicama Slaw


Chicken:
Serves 4

2 chicken breasts cut in half
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 T lime juice
1 T olive oil
1/8 tsp cumin
Kosher salt and ground pepper

Combine all ingredients in a ziplock bag and marinate for at least 30 minutes.
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet over medium heat (or use a grill). Saute chicken for about 4 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Remove from heat.

Jicama Slaw


3/4 cup jicama, julienned
1 T finely chopped onion
1 T chopped cilantro
1 tsp lime juice
1/8 tsp cumin
2 T plain yogurt
1/2 tsp minced jalapeno or serrano pepper
Kosher salt and ground pepper

Combine ingredients.

Toppings:
Tomato
Avocado
Pepper Jack Cheese
Whatever else you love!

Place chicken on good bread. Top with sliced tomatoes, avocados, Pepper Jack cheese and jicama slaw.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Delicious. I think I like this one almost as much as the tapas sandwich.

Carrie said...

Yummo. I'm impressed you made such a gourmet picnic with the little one around. Our picnics usually include really easy things. Plus, my kids never want to sit to eat for the picnic, they want to play at the park...then say they are hungry when we leave! Maybe I need to entice them with yummier picnic food:)

Jules said...

Okay, I keep getting comments linking to some weird sites. I am deleting those.

Lisa said...

This picture made my mouth water so I had to try it. We had it all except the avacado which was sorely missed. My daughter helped make the slaw and she especially loved it. (Don't you find that when your kids help make the food, they are more inclined to eat it?) Well, it was so yummy and we will be repeating the experience, I'm sure.

Lisa said...

Okay, after just bragging on my blog about my great spelling talent, I misspell "avocado". Humbling.

Mandy said...

This looks delicious! I am looking forward to trying some of your recipes!

stephmodo said...

It's great to see you back on the blog bandwagon Julie! I missed you. This sandwich looks delicious. I love that you used jicama--a delicious, refreshing treat in the summer!